Monday, May 3, 2010

The Will of Richard BORDER (1748 - 1815)

This is the second of the BORDER Wills that I'm posting (thanks to Robin BORDER) - the last was James and this is his brother Richard BORDER, born five years later in Buckfastleigh, but dying a year earlier (1815). Richard BORDER married Joan MICHELMORE at Buckfastleigh on 27 Apr 1786. A confusing point is that according to IGI indexes Joan BORDER, daughter of Richard and Joan, was baptised the same day! This may be an error. At any rate Richard and Joan had no more children. Records were brief at time, so either Joan BORDER the mother or Joan BORDER the daughter died in September 1786 (six months after marriage). Either way when Richard wrote his Will neither his wife nor daughter were alive.

Unfettered, Richard appears to have been incredibly succesful. As his Will attests, he was a Butcher like his older brother James. I've not done the math  but a great deal of money was left to both extended family (helping to connect up the tree) and the SEARLE family. The connection is not immediately obvious but the links were obviously tight as more money went to SEARLEs than BORDERs. Richard's two sisters, Sarah (b.1746) and Elizabeth (b.1760) both married SEARLEs (Samuel and Richard, respectively). Richard BORDER died in 1781 and like his brothers James and Christopher, lived his whole life in Buckfastleigh.

I have broken the Will into paragaphs to aid in reading:

This is the last will and testament of me Richard Border of Buckfastleigh in the county of Devon Butcher which I publish and declare as follows. I order and direct that all my just debts testamentary and funeral charges be fully paid and discharged by my executor hereinafter named. 

I give devise and bequeath unto my brother Christopher Border of Buckfastleigh the sum of twenty pounds also I give devise and bequeath unto Sarah Border daughter of my said brother Christopher Border the sum of twenty pounds and a pair of XXXX I also give unto his son Thomas Border the sum of forty pounds I also give unto my sister Sarah Searle of Plymouth the sum of thirty pounds I also give unto Sarah Legasick daughter of Sarah Searle the sum of twenty pounds I also give unto Sarah Searle and Elizabeth Searle daughters of Richard Searle of Buckfastleigh the sum of twenty pounds each. 

I also give and bequeath unto James Searle the Mesuage or Dwelling housethat is now in the occupation of Philip Illington with the garden plot belonging to the said house and the other garden behind the said house which I now occupy together with one half the water course that now runs through my lands to hold the same with the appertunances unto the said James Searle his heirs and assigns for ever. I also give devise and bequeath unto the before mentioned James Searle the sum of fifty pounds. 

I also give unto Samuel Searle brother of the above James Searle the house that Samuel Tozer now rents of me with the garden with the garden belonging to the same with one half the profits of a watercourse that runs through my lands. I also give and bequeath the said Samuel Searle the sum of forty pounds to hold the said house and garden with the rights XXX and appeurtenances thereunto belonging unto the said Samuel Searle his heirs and assigns forever. I also give and bequeath unto Richard Searle now residing at Sticklepath in the parish of South Tawton in the said county Woolcomber the sum of one hundred and fifty pounds I also give and bequeath unto my housekeeper Mry German the sum of twenty pounds. 

I give and bequeath unto my brother James Border the interest of one hundred and twenty pounds (now due from him to me) on a mortgage which is six pounds a year or long as he lives or until his heirs executors or XXX shall or may redeem the said mortgage but where and as soon as my said brother James Border shall exonerate and discharge his estate from the said mortgage then it is my will and I order and direct that the said sum of one hundred and twenty pounds be equally divided between the five children that may be living at the time of my death share and share alike but it is my will and desire that the sum of twenty pounds be deducted from the said sum of one hundred and twenty pounds to be equally divided between the three children of Richard Border deceased son of James Border and it is my will and desire that the interest on the above one hundred and twenty pounds shall be paid no longer than one year after my decease. 

I hereby also give demise and bequeath unto my nephew (son of sister Elizabeth Searle) William Searle all that one field or close of land called Sanguers Park in the said parish of Buckfastleigh now rented by John Trust and the dwellinghouse I now live in with the Garden before the same to hold the said with the rights XXX and appurtenances thereunto belonging unto the said William Searle his heirs and assigns forever and I also give devise and bequeath all my household goods and furniture beds and bedding of every description plate money in the house or out on mortgage and all sums of money due to me at the time of death stock in trade and every article that I may be possessed of at the time of my death and it is my will and I order and direct that all my legacies given and desired by me in this my will may be fully paid and satisfied at the end of twelve months after my decease except my silver watch which I give to James Border Searle son of Richard Searle now living at Sticklepark. And I hereby nominate constitute and appoint the said William Searle whole and sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all other wills by me made. And it is my will and desire that whatsoever bad debts may occur or happen before my executor is in possession of my estate and effects that each and every one of any said legatees shall leave an equal proportion in the hands of my executor according to the sum given and the loss sustained. 

In witness whereof I the said Richard Border the testator have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this thirtieth day of September in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and fifteen.
Witnesses
Thomas Hamblyn
Thomas Angel
Thomas Irish"

No comments: