Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Will of James BORDER (abt 1743 - 1816)

As mentioned in my previous post I have three BORDER will transcripts to post - as I mentioned none are direct ancestors. The first is James BORDER, baptised at Buckfastleigh, Devon in 1744, the son of James BORDER and Joan nee GILBERT. He married Elisabeth GIDLEY on 23 Jul 1767 at Buckfastleigh and had children there and at Ilsington (apparently living in the Hamlet of Levaton/Leveron). He was buried as Ilsington, Devon on 13 Oct 1816 aged about 72.

His Will:

This is the last will and testament of me James Border of Levaton in the parish of Ilsington in the county of Devon Butcher which I do hereby publish and declare as followeth. First I give and bequeath unto my brother Richard Border my best greatcoat. Likewise I give and bequeath unto my son James Border the sum of forty pounds to be paid unto him by my executors hereinafter named in one year after my decease. I give and bequeath unto my grandson James son of the aforesaid James Border the sum of five pounds to be paid him with interest by my executors when he shall accomplish the age of twenty one years. I give and bequeath unto Sarah Border my daughter the sum of forty pounds to be paid her one year after my decease and I give and bequeath unto her a half dozen of silver tea spoons Coffee Mill Conder cover with the chainery and glass in it. I give and bequeath unto Jane Border widow of my late son Richard Border the sum of one pound to buy a gown with. All the remainder of my lands money goods chattels and effects which I posess at my decease I give devise and bequeath unto my brother Richard Border of Buckfastleigh o George Paddon of Ilsington and George Furse of Bovey Tracey UPON TRUST for the uses hereinafter described (viz) that the said Richard Border George Paddon and George Furse as soon after my death as convenient sell all my goods chattels lands household furniture corn cattle and everything that is saleable unless what is before excepted and the money that is arising therefrom first to pay any just debts and funeral expenses and when that is done the remainder of the money shall be parted equally between my sons Thomas Henry and Christopher Border with my late son Thomas’s three sons to have their fathers share as followeth James the eldest to have one half and Thomas and Richard the other half but the money to be put to interest on good security and to be paid them as they attain the age of twenty one years and the interest arising therefrom shall be paid when received to their mother till the youngest shall be of age and if any of the aforesaid children shall die before they are of age their share or shares shall be paid to the surviving brothers or sisters as they shall become of age but the legacys to be paid before can be parted And I do hereby empower Constitute and appoint the said Richard Border George Paddon and my whole and sole executors in trust of this my last will and testament revoking all former wills by me made declaring this to be my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twenty fifth day of September 1812


It is agreed by me before the signing and sealing of the within will that my son Christopher Border shall have my writing desk and William the son of Joseph Cholditch shall have my beef cleaver and Mutton Knife.



Note that commas were not employed (at least that I've seen), similar to the court records I've read related to my convict ancestors. It is interesting that the eldest son of James (also named James) received the lion's share of the estate. Items of value to James (or to those around him) were clearly articulated - a writing desk, a greatcoat, tea spoons. James, a butcher, also left his knives to a man was possible his apprentice. Clearly being a butcher involved more than just selling the meat, given that his occupation required land, cattle and the corn to feed them.

No comments: