Thursday, January 24, 2008

Update on Cornelius HURLEY and Julia DWYER

I've now sourced the death certificates of Cornelius HURLEY and Julia DWYER (see below):

Julia Dwyer, died 1890, Yarrawonga, Victoria
Photobucket
Deaths in the district of Yarrawonga in the colony of Victoria
When and where died: 24th September 1890, Burramine Shire of Yarrawonga, County Moira
Name and surname, rank or profession: Julia Hurley
Age and sex: Female, 59 years
Cause of death: Ulceration of the stomach
Duration of illness: 6 days
Medical attendant: Dr Denis
When he last saw deceased: 23 September 1890
Name and surname of father and mother if known, with rank or profession: Edmund Dwyer, Farmer and Catherine Dwyer m.n. Quirk
Signature, residence: C Hurley, Son, Islford
Date and where registered: 24th September 1890
When and where buried: 25th September 1890 Yarrawonga Cemetery
Witnesses at burial: CJ Hurley and EP Hurley
Where born and how long in the colonies: County Tipperary Ireland, 30 years in Victoria
Where married: London, England
at what age: 20 years
to whom: Cornelius Hurley
Issue: John dead, Johanna dead, Kate dead, Cornelius Joseph 33 years, Edward 29 years, Denis 26 years, Julia 24 years, Daniel dead, James dead, Patrick 20 years, Thomas 17 years

Cornelius Hurley, died 1905, Yarrawonga, Victoria
Photobucket
Transcript:
Deaths in the district of Yarrawonga in the colony of Victoria
When and where died: 8th July 1905, Burramine Shire of Yarrawonga, County Moira
Name and surname, rank or profession: Cornelius Hurley, Farmer
Age and sex: Male, 89 years
Cause of death: Senility
Duration of illness: 2 days
Medical attendant: S.A. Denis
When he last saw deceased: 7th July 1905
Name and surname of father and mother if known, with rank or profession: not known
Signature, residence: EP Hurley, Son, Burramine
Date and where registered: 8th July 1905, Yarrawonga
When and where buried: 10th July 1905, Yarrawonga Cemetery
Name and religion of minister: Rev P Mahony, Roman Catholic Clergyman
Where born and how long in the colonies: Limerick Ireland 45 years in Victoria
Where married: London, England
at what age: 30 years
to whom: Julia Dwyer, dead
Issue: John dead, Johanna dead, Catherine dead, Cornelius dead, Edward Peter 46 years, Denis 43 years, Julia 41 years, James dead, Daniel dead, Patrick 36 years, Thomas 34 years, Michael 31 years

-----

So this adds some new information for us. Importantly we learn the names of Julia's parents, Edmund DWYER, Farmer and that her mother is Catherine QUIRK. While we now know her maiden name, it also confirms the 1851 census entry for Julia and her mother Catherine living next door to Cornelius in London.

There seems to be some cofusion over the birthplace of Cornelius, divided between Cork and Limerick. His census entry in 1851 states that it is Cork, as do most birth certificates of his children. Again, their marriage certificate would help confirm this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are my great great grandparents. I am an Australian living in Los Angeles. I am going to Ireland and I asked my Uncle in Australia about my ancestors and he gave me their names then I looked up online and found this. Very cool. Lyn Popper

Matt Hall said...

Awesome Lyn! I am also Aussie living in the US - I'm glad these posts helped a little. I now have the marriage cert of Cornelius and Julia. Send me an email and I"ll pass a copy to you if you like - I don't think I've had time to put it on the blog.
Could you let me know what became of Cornelius' brother Denis? I don't have anything in my tree on that.
cheers,
matt

Unknown said...

Hi Matt and Lyn

Cornelius and Julia are also my great great grandparents and my great grandfather was EP (Edmund Peter) Hurley named on the death certificate along with Cornelius Joseph (CJ)

I have some information on the Hurley's but also lots of gaps?

Do either of you know of a connection between William and Joanna Hurley who arrived in Australia in the 1860's and settled in Balnarring on the Mornington Peninsula Victoria

Loom forward to hearing from you

Chris Keogh