Saturday, April 27, 2013

The obituaries of Patrick Joseph and Julia (nee HURLEY) QUINANE

It is remarkable how much information can be condensed into one small article, such as an obituary, that can flesh out the life of an ancestor. It is also remarkable that the word 'obituaries' contains all five vowels? I've just noticed that - there are probably lots of words like that. Anyway.

As the NLA Newspapers site has recently digitized the Catholic newspaper, articles on my Irish-Catholic ancestors who lived in New South Wales are appearing. The Catholic paper ran obituaries on members of the Catholic community in Sydney and facilitated detailed obituaries, not encountered in the usual newspapers such as the Sydney Morning Herald, except for people of highly significant social standing.

And so, it was extremely pleasing to find obituaries of Patrick Joseph (1854-1937) and Julia (nee HURLEY, 1863-1935) QUINANE. Originally from Victoria, they settled in New South Wales some time after World War 1, perhaps following their son Patrick Joseph (1894-1967) who had moved to Sydney prior to enlisting in that war.

This photo captures Patrick and Julia surrounded mainly by grandchildren (I've posted it before).

Back:  Phillip Quinane, Joan Quinane, William Hill, Gracie Donnelly, Frederick Quinane
Middle: Patrick Joseph Quinane (1854-1937) and
Julia Ann Quinane nee Hurley (1863-1935)
Front: Dennis Byrne, Yvonne Quinane, Ronald Weidner, Edward Weidner

Their obituaries shed a great deal of light on their lives. One point worth noting is that the connection between Patrick Joseph's birth and the Eureka stockade is well known in the family.

 The Catholic Press
Thursday 11 April 1935
The death occurred recently at Ashfield of Mrs. Julia Quinane, a meritorious worker for charity. Born at Malmesbury, Victoria, her parents took up land at Burramine, where she remained until her marriage, which brought her to Melbourne. For many years deceased lived in the Clifton Hill parish, and her charity and kindness for those in distress endeared her to all. The latter part of her life was spent in Sydney, and for three or four years her health had caused her family some anxiety. She is survived by her husband and eight children — seven girls and one boy, among whom are Sister Mary Cosmos (Corrimal) and Sister Mary Louis (Penshurst). During deceased's illness she was attended by the Vincentian Fathers, and was also visited by the Sisters of Charity. The Requiem Mass was celebrated at St. Vincent's, Ashfield. The pupils of the De La Salle Brothers and the Sisters of Charity were present. After Mass the remains were interred at Woronora Cemetery. Rev. Father Gerald Power, CM., officiated at the graveside. — R.I.P.

The Catholic Press
Thursday 14 July 1937
The death of the late Mr. Patrick Joseph Quinane, aged 83 years, occurred recently at Kogarah. Born at Ballarat (Vic), in 1854, he was six weeks old when the historical fight in the Eureka Stockade took place. The tent in which he was lying was riddled with shot from the rifle fire of the combatants during the rioting. His father, then a miner, was one in conflict with the authorities on the question of the restricted mining licence. He spent his boyhood in the Geelong district, on the land, later taking up a selection at Tungamah, where he took an active part in the Hibernian Society, and held various executive positions in the Victorian district. He was a prominent member of the St. Vincent de Paul Society during his lifetime. He joinod the Sacred Heart Sodality in 1887, and completed 40 years membership. He joined the Holy Name Society at Kogarah. The bank smash in the nineties sent him from Tungamah, to commence his career afresh. He then entered the Victorian Railway Service, where he served for 30 years, taking a prominent part in the formation of the Railway Workers' Union, in: which he held various executive positions. Living at Clifton Hill (Vic.), he look a leading part in parochial affairs. In recognition of his work he was presented with a gold cross inscribed, 'For 25 years' services rendered.' Upon his retirement from the Victorian Railways, he settled in Sydney, living at Darlinghurst, Ashfield, and, finally, at Sans Souci. His wife died three years ago, at the age of 72 years. He was attended in his last illness by Rev. Father A. J. Sobb, who administered the Last Sacraments. A Requiem Mass was celebrated at St. Patrick's Church, Kogarah, by the Rev. Father M. McCarthy. Appropriate hymns were rendered by the school children. The funeral left the church for the Woronora Cemetery. Father Sobb officiated at the graveside. He is survived by seven daughters and one son — Nurse Theresa Quinane, Mrs. Agnes Alexander, Mrs. Esther Weidner, Mrs. Gertrude Byrne, Mrs. Dora Hill (Kathleen), Sister Mary Cosmos and Millie, Sister Louis Maria, of the St. Joseph Congregation, and Patrick J. Quinane, an original Anzac. — R.I.P.

No comments: