Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A letter by Edward EWER

It's not often, unless we are descended from the more educated classes, that we have the chance to read words written by our forebears - the possible exception being their Wills, drafted by solicitors at their side. Apparently Edward Ewer took issue with dogs. Edward was a litigous man, and appeared in Court several times prosecuting people, including a separate dispute with Brown described below.

The Sydney Monitor, Saturday 24 October 1835
"THE DOG ACT
To the Editor of the Sydney Monitor
SIR - I beg to call the attention of the public of New South Wales, to a grievance which I am labouring under, and for which I have, in a Court of Justice, been refused redress by one Magistrate. On the morning of Saturday, about half past five o'clock, on opening my gate, and proceeding to open my yard gate, my yard dog, which was duly registered, and was of considerable value, got into the street ; when Wardsman Brown, attached to the Parramatta Police Establishment, shot him in front of me ; the dog ran into the house, and was followed by Brown, through my shop, through my parlour, and into my bed room, where my wife was lying in a delicate state of health ; and it was certainly sufficient to alarm any woman to see the dog weltering in his blood, and followed by a Constable with a gun in his hand. Brown took off, not only his tail, but his collar, and I charged him before Captain Wright with the three following charges: an infringement of the act, a trespass on my premises, and robbery! he having, I swore, took away the collar with felonious intent. After my making a long affadavit before the Police Magistrate the case was dismissed. Although I am a freed man, is my house to entered by the Police without a warrant, and my bedroom not to be sacred from such an intrusion trusting the same will find a place in your paper,
I am, Sir,
Your humble servant, Edward Ewer
Church Street, Parramatta, October 19th 1935
According to Mr E's statement, which we have no reason to doubt, Brown undoubtedly acted in a very improper manner. If the dog was duly registered, the Constable could have no right to take the collar away. Ed."

No comments: