Saturday, May 15, 2010

SMH obituary of Michael J Conlon (1841-1913)

This obituary of Michael J Conlon of Glebe was published in the Sydney Morning Herald shortly after his death.
Sydney Morning Herald Thu 27 Nov 1913, p10

Mr. Michael Joseph Conlon, one of the oldest and most highly respected residents of the Glebe, died at his home, Carrara, Alexander-road, yesterday, aged 72 years.

"Mick" Conlon as he was familiarly known to his friends, was born at Fairy Meadow, Wollongong, and during his early years lived in Parramatta-street, now George-street West, Sydney. On reaching manhood he established pottery works at Redfern, subsequently removing them to the Glebe, where he carried on a large business for over 30 years. He took an active interest in all public affaris in the Glebe muicipality until he contracted rheumatic gout about 22 years ago. He was an alderman of the borough for many years, and on one or two occassions contested the electorate for Parliamentary honours, but without success, although he polled heavily. He was a staunch protectionist, and largely assisted the party both with voice and purse in the old days when the Parliamentary elections were fought out on the fiscal question. In his early days he was an amateur actor and singer. At the old Redfern Theatre, in 1862, he was associated wih an amateur company, of which W.J. Holloway and Miss Maggie Oliver, who subsequently became professionals, were members. He witnessed from 1857 to 1900 every intercolonial cricket match played in Sydney. He belonged to a club called the "Cornstalk Stars", who, he used to say, "played on Hyde Park for half-a-crown a bat, and were never beaten". He was present at the dispute no the Domain in 1863, which resulted in disruption of the intercolonial matches for a time.
Outside of the Glebe it was as a bowler that the late Mr. Conlon was widely known, he having been, in his time, on of the best players in Australia. He was one of the first members of the Glebe Club, which had its quarters in Wentworth Park, and when that club passed out of exstence he joined the Redfern Club as a life member. When the Glebe Club was established the only clubs in existence in the city and suburbs were Strathfield, City, Balmain, and Rosehill. He won the championship of the Redfern Club on two occasions, the champion of champions of New South Wales three times, the Glebe champion on several occasions, besides being a member of the intercolonial team several times. The last bowling match he played in was on Anniversary Day, 1900, in the single championship of New South Wales. He had previously won two rounds, and in his third engagement with the score at 11 to 2 in his favour he collapsed, and had never been able to play afterwards.

For the past 13 years he had been an invalid. He leaves three daughters surviving him, his wife and a son having predeceased him about 12 years ago.

A requiem mass for the repose of the soul of the deceased will be celebrated in St James' Roman Catholic Church, Forest Lodge, a 8 a.m. to-day, and at 1 p.m. the funeral will leave for the mortuary station, thence to Rookwood.

No comments: